September / October 2020
Fogarty is supporting seven additional promising early-career scientists in low- and middle-income countries through the Emerging Global Leader Award program.
Several leaders of coronavirus response teams in Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda and Rwanda presented best practices of COVID-19 contact tracing in a recent webinar co-moderated by the African Forum for Research and Education for Health (AFREhealth) and Fogarty.
Dr. Bruce Tromberg, director of NIH's National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, discusses biomedical technology and global health research, potential for the new Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa) program, and NIBIB contributions to the COVID-19 effort.
Fogarty Director Dr. Roger I. Glass shares his thoughts on how the NIH Common Fund's new Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa) program will help ensure African scientists are prepared to lead the coming surge of big data research.
Also in this issue
NIH Common Fund issues two awards for COVID-19 research in Africa
With emergency support through revisions to existing NIH Common Fund grants, a robotic lung ultrasound machine will be tested for COVID-19 triage in Nigeria, and a cohort of South African children will be studied for serological response to coronavirus.
Chronic disease research and training projects receive $14M investment from NIH
Fogarty and its NIH funding partners have awarded 17 new grants to support research and training on cancer, diabetes, mental illness and other noncommunicable diseases in low- and middle-income countries.
$3M awarded to study HIV/AIDS stigma
Eight new awards were funded through Fogarty’s Reducing Stigma to Improve HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care in Low- and Middle-Income Countries program.
Profile: Type 2 diabetes syndemic in India characterized by Fogarty Scholar
As a Fogarty fellow in India, Dr. Emily Mendenhall researched co-occurring epidemics of type 2 diabetes, depression and social inequality among urban patients, which led to her later studies of syndemics in South Africa, Kenya and Ethiopia.
US leadership in research and development is slipping, a new report warns
U.S. leadership in research and development is waning while China's is on the rise, according to a new study from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and Rice University.
People in the news:
- New NIH eye institute director Dr. Michael F. Chiang has global ties
- NIH taps Dr. Lindsey A. Criswell to lead arthritis, skin disease research
- Dr. Rena D’Souza is named director of NIH dental research
- Dr. Anthony Fauci to receive R.F. Kennedy Ripple of Hope Award
- Fogarty mHealth grantee Dr. Young Kim wins NIH tech competition
- Dr. Steven Meshnick remembered for dedication to global health
- Former Fogarty bioethics trainee Dr. Paulina Tindana is honored
- Details: People in the news
Global health briefs:
- G-FINDER urges increased R&D investment
- WHO: sepsis causes 20% of global deaths
- NCD agenda should be reframed
- Report examines AI’s role in global health
- Child lead poisoning is global problem
- Details: Global health briefs
- NIH research news related to the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus news, funding and resources for global health researchers compiled by Fogarty
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) information for NIH grant applicants and grant recipients from the NIH Office of Extramural Research
- Funding opportunities specific to COVID-19 from the NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER)
- Request for information (RFI): Inviting comments and suggestions on the NIH-wide strategic plan for COVID-19 research (NOT-OD-21-018), released October 28, 2020
Respond by December 7, 2020
- NIH begins large clinical trial [at medical facilities in the US and Latin America] to test immune modulators for treatment of COVID-19
NIH news, October 16, 2020
- NIH ACTIV initiative launches adaptive clinical trials of blood-clotting treatments for COVID-19, with trials conducted at more than 100 sites around the world
NHLBI/NIH news, September 10, 2020
- NIH-supported study to track prevalence and impact of SARS-CoV-2 among pregnant women in low- and middle-income countries
NICHD/NIH news, September 1, 2020
- Select news and publications related to SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 by and featuring Fogarty staff
- Accommodating individual travel history and unsampled diversity in Bayesian phylogeographic inference of SARS-CoV-2 [Open access], co-authored by Fogarty's Dr Martha Nelson
Nature Communications, October 9, 2020
- The emergence of SARS-CoV-2 in Europe and North America, co-authored by Fogarty's Dr Martha Nelson
Science, September 10, 2020
- Opinion: Coming to terms with the real bioterrorist behind Covid-19: nature, co-authored by NIAID's Dr David M Morens and Fogarty senior scientist emeritus Dr Joel Breman
STAT, September 9, 2020
- In preparation for a COVID-19-influenza double epidemic featuring Fogarty's Dr Nidia Trovao
The Lancet Microbe, September 1, 2020
- Fogarty and NIH global health research news
- Landmark [international] TB trial identifies shorter-course treatment regimen
NIAID/NIH news, October 21, 2020
- GEOHealth hub activities highlighted during the Fogarty International Center’s virtual meeting
NIEHS/NIH Global Environmental Health Newsletter, October 2020
- NSF, NIH support $16 million in new awards through joint Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases program
National Science Foundation news, September 29, 2020
- Reducing cancer’s global burden: A conversation with NCI Center for Global Health Director Dr. Satish Gopal
NCI Cancer Currents blog, September 24, 2020
- NIH establishes Centers for Research in Emerging Infectious Diseases NIAID/NIH news, August 27, 2020
- Low-cost, customizable microscope takes top biomedical engineering prize
NIBIB/NIH news, August 25, 2020
- How Dr Bartholomew N Ondigo successfully applied for the NIH African Postdoctoral Training Initiative (APTI)
African Academy of Sciences news, August 7, 2020
- More news and publications featuring Fogarty staff
- Seasonal influenza: The challenges of vaccine strain selection [Open access], co-authored by Fogarty scientists Drs Amanda C Perofsky and Martha I Nelson
eLife, October 13, 2020
- Systems science approaches for global environmental health research: Enhancing intervention design and implementation for household air pollution (HAP) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) programs [Open access], co-authored by Fogarty scientists Drs Joshua Rosenthal and Ashlinn Quinn
Environmental Health Perspectives, October 9, 2020
- Beyond clinical trials: Evolutionary and epidemiological considerations for development of a universal influenza vaccine, co-authored by Fogarty scientists
PLOS Pathogens, September 24, 2020
- Commentary: Fostering successful and sustainable collaborations to advance implementation science: the adolescent HIV prevention and treatment implementation science alliance [Open access], co-authored by Fogarty staff
Special Issue of the Journal of the International AIDS Society (JIAS), August 31, 2020
- Fogarty and NIH grantee news
- Other global health research news
- More global health research news from Fogarty
Emerging Global Leader Award
Application deadline: November 4, 2020
Global Brain Disorders Research
Application deadline: November 6, 2020
Reducing Stigma to Improve HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care in LMICs
Application deadline: November 12, 2020
Chronic, Noncommunicable Diseases and Disorders Research Training (NCD-Lifespan)
D43 application deadline: November 13, 2020
Ecology and Evolution of Infectious Diseases Initiative (EEID)
Application deadline: November 18, 2020
Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa):
Research Training Program due date: November 24, 2020
Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications Research due date: December 1, 2020
Open Data Science Platform and Coordinating Center due date: December 3, 2020
Research Hubs non-AIDS application due date: December 8, 2020
Research Hubs AIDS application due date: February 8, 2021
HIV-associated Noncommunicable Diseases Research at LMIC Institutions
Application deadline: December 3, 2020
Mobile Health: Technology and Outcomes in LMICs
AIDS application deadline: December 3, 2020
All Fogarty funding opportunities
Subscribe to NIH global health funding opportunities email alerts
November 2 - 18, 2020
Virtual workshop: Sustaining global capacity for implementation research for health in low- and middle-income countries
sponsored by NIH's National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
November 15 - 19, 2020
Virtual: American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH) Annual Meeting
December 15 - 17, 2020
Virtual: Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in Health
Co-hosted by AcademyHealth and NIH
Submit applications for scholarships for individuals from low- and middle-income countries by November 6, 2020.
January 27 - 28 and February 3 - 4, 2021
Virtual: HIV Research for Prevention Conference, presented by the International AIDS Society
February 9, 2021
Virtual: Fogarty Advisory Board Meeting Open Session
March 1 - 14, 2021
Virtual: Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) Annual Conference and Satellite Sessions
Extended: Submit abstracts for presentations and posters by October 31, 2020.
Fogarty calendar of events
Fogarty on Facebook | Fogarty on Twitter | Subscribe
Global Health Matters is produced by the Office of Communications at the National Institutes of Health's Fogarty International Center. For more information, please contact managing editor Ann Puderbaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-496-2075.
Permission to reprint Global Health Matters content: All text produced in this newsletter is in the public domain and may be reprinted. Please credit Fogarty International Center. Images must be cleared for use with the individual sources, as indicated.
The Fogarty International Center, the international component of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, addresses global health challenges through innovative and collaborative research and training programs and supports and advances the NIH mission through international partnerships.
Subscribe, update your subscription or unsubscribe to the Global Health Matters e-newsletter from the Fogarty International Center. We encourage you to forward this e-newsletter to colleagues who may find it of interest.